Humberto (1953) and Fernando (1961) Campana were born in Brotas, a city located 250 kilometers from São Paulo. With an agrarian based economy, Brotas is located in a region with abundant natural resources. Until moving to São Paulo to begin their graduate studies, they both lived with their family. Their father was an agricultural engineer and their mother was a primary school teacher. They lived in a house with a vast backyard surrounded by fruit trees and streams leading to the waterfalls in the region of Brotas.
Humberto graduated with a law degree. After obtaining his diploma, he began to research his main interest as a child: the infinite possibilities of craftsmanship. In the 1980s he set up a small studio of hand?made products.
Fernando graduated in architecture and was interested in the research of alternative methods for design materialization. He studied Le Corbusier and Oscar Niemeyer’s power of communication and outline synthesis as well as the construction of small-scale objects. After obtaining his degree, he completed an internship at the 17th Art Bienal in São Paulo. By the end of 1983 they were one of the most celebrated partnerships in contemporary design.
Campana´s first exhibition as a duo took place in 1989 at the Nucleon Galery, in São Paulo;
in 2009, ten years after the exhibition that launched their career, the Estúdio Campana was chosen to celebrate its anniversary at the Vitra Design Museum, in Germany, which also commemorated a decade of existence.
Humberto and Fernando Campana have been awarded as Designer of the Year at Design Miami in 2008, with the Special Prize at the Museu da Casa Brasileira (Brazilian House Museum) in 2011, Designer of the Year at Maison & Objet, Paris, France in 2012 and the Order of the Arts and Letters, Paris, France in 2013.
Photo: © Fernando Laszlo